Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.


Initially, an objecting landowner may request either or both injunctive and monetary relief. However, if the government’s action meets the legislative and constitutional criteria, the landowner may be responsible for court costs if the objection was not well-grounded or appears to have been motivated by excessive pecuniary interest.

In cases of partial takings or excessive takings, adjudication includes a determination of the percentage interest in a property which is adversely affected, and monetary award is prorated accordingly. Like-wise, if the complaint is for devalued property which is not directly taken, but is adversely affected because of governmental activity or use on nearby property, adjudication includes a determination as to whether other factors have devalued the property and the monetary difference between the devalued property and its fair market value without the alleged adverse effect.

Compensation is required, effective from the date of the alleged taking. Payments not made at that time accrue interest, to which the landowner is entitled. Occasionally, subsequent actions or objections are filed months or years after the initial determination. This is especially true in the case of partial takings, e.g., easements. Over time, a government entity may engage in additional activity that exceeds in scope of the initial taking. If this causes further decrease in residual use or enjoyment still vested in the original property owner, both injunctive and monetary relief may be available.

Inside Remedies