Maryland Seller’s Disclosure Law
Real Property – Seller’s Disclosures – Maryland
Title 10. Sale of Real Property
§ 10-702 REAL PROP Disclosures required for sale of single family residential property.
(a)Applicability of section.
(1) A vendor of single family residential real property shall complete and deliver to each purchaser:
(i) A written residential property condition disclosure statement on a form provided by the State Real Estate Commission; or
(ii) A written residential property disclaimer statement on a form provided by the State Real Estate Commission.
(2) The State Real Estate Commission shall develop by regulation a single standardized form that includes the residential property condition disclosure and disclaimer statements required by this subsection.
(b) Contents of residential property disclaimer statement
(1) The residential property disclosure statement shall disclose those items that, to carry out the provisions of this section, the State Real Estate Commission requires to be disclosed about the physical condition of the property.
(2) The disclosure form shall include a list of defects or information of which the vendor has actual knowledge in relation to the following:
(i) Water and sewer systems, including the source of household water, water treatment systems, and sprinkler systems;
(iii) Structural systems, including the roof, walls, floors, foundation, and any basement;
(iv) Plumbing, electrical, heating, and air conditioning systems;
(v) Infestation of wood-destroying insects;
(vi) Land use matters;
(vii) Hazardous or regulated materials, including asbestos, lead-based paint, radon, underground storage tanks, and licensed landfills;
(viii) Any other material defects known to the vendor; and
(ix) Whether the smoke detectors will provide an alarm in the event of a power outage.
(3) The disclosure form shall contain:
(i) A notice to prospective purchasers and vendors that the prospective purchaser or vendor may wish to obtain professional advice about or an inspection of the property;
(ii) A notice to prospective purchasers that disclosure by the seller is not a substitute for an inspection by an independent home inspection company, and that the purchaser may wish to obtain such an inspection;
(iii) A notice to purchasers that the information contained in the disclosure statement is the representation of the vendor and is not the representation of the real estate broker or salesperson, if any; and
(iv) A notice to purchasers that the information contained in the disclosure statement is not a warranty by the vendor as to:
1. The condition of the property of which the vendor has no actual knowledge; or
2. Other conditions of which the vendor has no actual knowledge.
(4) The vendor is not required to undertake or provide an independent investigation or inspection of the property in order to make the disclosures required by this section.
(c) Delivery of disclosure or disclaimer statement.
(1) Except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, the vendor shall deliver the completed disclosure or disclaimer statement required by this section to the purchaser on or before entering into a contract of sale by the vendor and the purchaser.
(2) The disclosure or disclaimer statement shall be delivered to each purchaser before the execution of the contract of sale by the purchaser in the case of a land installment contract, as defined in § 10-101 of this title.
(3) The disclosure or disclaimer statement shall be delivered to each purchaser before the execution by the purchaser of an option to purchase agreement or a lease agreement containing an option to purchase provision.
(4) At the time the disclosure or disclaimer statement is delivered, each purchaser shall date and sign a written acknowledgment of receipt, which shall be included in or attached to the contract of sale.
(d) Right to rescission A purchaser who receives the disclosure or disclaimer statement on or before entering into the contract of sale does not have the right to rescind the contract of sale based upon the information contained in the statement.